This is not an attempt to transcribe what's actually played in the recorded version, at all. I have no idea how to write out strum patterns, but I generally play the 5/4 parts with accents kind of based on the recorded percussion part, ( 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 +), and the 6/8 parts with accents on 1 and 4 (except for the last measure of each bridge, which is just three straight quarter notes). When I write out the chords below, I'll write out a chord per accent. The bridge part is in 6/8, with the same tempo as the 5/4 part (so if it was in 3/4 it would be a perfect transition, but it's in 2, so it's nicely odd). If anyone's interested in more detail, send me an e-mail and I can try to write it out more exactly.
To play it in the same key as the recording, put the capo on the 4th fret. I like to sing it a bit lower, so I usually do capo 2 or 1.
(it can also kind of work with G C G D etc, or some combination of the two)
Play with the same chords as in Cameos, Lights and Cars, Devil's Son, etc:
G 3|2|0|0|3|3
Csus9 0|3|2|0|3|3
D(inv) x|0|0|2|3|2
Em 0|2|2|0|3|3
I'm not sure how to label these things since it doesn't nicely divide into verse/chorus, but you should get the idea.
Chorus 1:
G C Em D D
Whenever the time is right
G C Em D D
I will think of you
G C Em D D
Whatever I might find
G C Em D D
I will think of you
Verse 1 (same as chorus 1)
Walking the black, steel rail across suburban plains
Watching the summer's hand bend the long, green blades
Hoping to stumble on the pieces of my youth
Cinnamon copper Queen, still so flat and smooth
Bridge 1 (6/8):
D D Em Em C C D D
Pardon me, Your Majesty, for never stopping by
D D Em Em C C D D D
I can see you're lonely living life upon the line
Chorus 2 (same as chorus 1):
So let this be the end of everything that could
I'm so tired of all the things I'll never know
Verse 2 (same as chorus 1):
Stop on the trestle bridge, Sixteen Mile below
Whetting its appetite with the same old sticks and hopes
Are you happy upon your course, worn by centuries
Or searching beneath these stones for something else to be
Bridge 2 (same as bridge 1):
Would you take me with you on your cold and bumpy ride
If I hit the water then there's nothing to decide
No comments:
Post a Comment